It’s a beautiful season Autumn. Beautiful colours, the leaves crunching under our feet making us acoustically aware of the trees that have stood above us all these years. Amazing fungus that grows in the damp climate providing shelter for fairies and amazing colours that are aesthetically pleasing to our eye.
Those colours are seen by animals in different colours by different animals, this changes the message to the different animals. Some fungus may be good for one animal to eat but not for others and this is nature’s way of sending that information.
Can our dogs eat mushrooms? …certain ones yes but not all. Puppies explore a lot and sometimes get things wrong when they are learning.
Older dogs can accidentally eat the wrong type! So what happens if they do that?
Unfortunately it could be fatal. Some mushrooms can kill your dog and quickly.
There are different ways different types of mushrooms can be toxic to your dog.
If you think your dog has taken a mushroom immediately call your vet to be on the safe side.
Ah that old CHESTNUT
Horse chestnuts aka Conkers are toxic to your dog
Sweet chestnuts however are not.
So how can you tell the difference:
It may seem obvious but …Antifreeze is really toxic to your dog. It has a very sweet taste so they may want to try it. Make sure any spills are cleaned up and your pooch doesn’t have access to it when you are filling the car
Small enough to ingest but a devil to pass through the other end!
Acorns can cause intestinal blockages. They can in some cases cause kidney failure and this can lead to death.
Fallen apples are great for dogs but be aware of them eating the brown bit. The brown when ingested goes to the liver where it produces ethanol! Your dogs get very drunk from it!
Enjoy the Autumn . Enjoy kicking those leaves in the woods . Enjoy the colours. Enjoy your dogs .
Lots of wuffs
For other hints and tips please follow me on: –
©️ Chrissy Moore, Wagright Dog Training.